Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2014, 01:33:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Tales of Forum
|-+  Phantasian Productions Projects
| |-+  Tales of Phantasia
| | |-+  News
| | | |-+  Official Tales of Phantasia TO-DO list (last update: September 6th, 2012)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Official Tales of Phantasia TO-DO list (last update: September 6th, 2012)  (Read 138797 times)
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« on: June 13, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »

RECENT UPDATES:
September 10th
Non-fatal bug fixed. Serious technical testing begins now, as there is nothing know left to fix. Beta test in about a week.

September 6th
One non-fatal bug to fix. Then, testing.

Main dialogue script stuff
Finished.

Skit script stuff
Finished.

Assembly (ASM) code hacking
Essential hacks are finished. Some additional enhancements have been proposed but aren't finished or started and may not be implemented in the first release.

Known bugs to fix:
None.

Non-critical enhancements to possibly add:
  • Automatic text formatting (In progress) - I have an external tool that does this already, but due to the fact you can change character names and select arte names, it's impossible to fully optimize lines containing those things externally. This would make it possible.
  • GROOVY Arche mini-game subtitles (Not started yet?) - Habilain believes it's possible without too much trouble.
  • Event subtitles (Not started yet?) - Add a subtitle for those moments where a voice clip is muttered without an accompanying text box on town/dungeon maps. Habilain has expressed that this might be more trouble to implement than it's worth. Most of the clips that would be subtitled are single words (like spell names and summons) that most people would probably understand well enough. Such a thing would be most useful for the voice impressionists, though. It would be nice to see this if only to have every single voice clip in the game subtitled, but no promises can be made.

I don't remember if there's anything else that is planned or was on this front.

Everything else
  • Thorough internal test (In progress) - Make sure everything works as far as I can tell, and that there aren't any glaring mistakes.
  • Full beta test (Can't be done yet)

Target release date = when it's done Unofficial statement: I will be seriously surprised if we cannot finish this within 2011. I know, I said the same thing during 2009 and 2010...that's why this isn't an official statement.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:24:21 PM by Cless » Logged

leon.dx

gangstas first

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »

Looks to be shaping up quite well Cless-sama, was actually following Sirius9's draft through your backloggery sig, was thinking I'd see a thread like this pop up near the completion of that draft. =P

I'll have to check back here from time to time for updates~

Oh and I'm sure you already have people covering this but if you don't, I'd be more than happy to help you with a test play through eventually when the time comes if the help is needed. Yes, I have beta tested before, and yes I know the tediousness of writing down game bugs and script errors and reporting them. xD You know how to get a hold of me if I'm needed down the line. =P *points to contact info*

Anyways, as always keep up the amazing work Phantasian Productions! Much love. <3
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:31:32 PM by leon.dx » Logged
Sirius9
Tales of Phantasia Staff

Mystery Edit Theater 3000

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »

My schedule is beyond insane right now, but free time does sporadically show up in it.  I just don't have a lot of warning before it appears.  If the skit script is as short as you say, it might just be best for you to go though the whole thing and send it to me all at once, that way when I get a breather I can probably blast my way through big chunks of it at a time.  We can save the back and forth over sticky bits and annoying puns for the end, or you can find someone with more time (and a better working knowledge of Japanese) to go over those things.  A lot of the skits seem like straightforward "This is what we have to do next" kind of stuff anyway.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
nusakan0
Script Editor
Tales of Phantasia Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »

The vast majority of the skits do indeed simply instruct the player where to go next.  And while there are a fair number of skits, they are all pretty short.

That being said, though, a few are painfully obtuse.  Some good ideas have been brought forward, but I imagine most of the time spent on the skit revisions will be invested in a handful of them.
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »

Don't underestimate my ability to overthink even some of the most trivial crap. =P

But yeah. I estimate the size of the skit script to be about 1/7 or 1/6 the size of the main script. The main difference is that it's ALL character dialogue, so gotta be careful and be sure we're getting the personalities down. And since it's all in realtime, there's not always as much room for extrapolation as in the main script.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:38:29 AM by Cless » Logged

Sirius9
Tales of Phantasia Staff

Mystery Edit Theater 3000

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »

Don't underestimate my ability to overthink even some of the most trivial crap. =P

You remember who you're talking to right?  It is possible that my notes for file 56 of the main script now exceed the word count of the actual dialogue itself!  haha

That being said, though, a few are painfully obtuse.  Some good ideas have been brought forward, but I imagine most of the time spent on the skit revisions will be invested in a handful of them.

I see this as all the more reason for me to get through the simple stuff in one or two marathon sessions.  It probably wouldn't take me long at all once I get started, I had a pretty solid idea of each characters "voice" before I even started, and while I've had to adjust my expectations a little bit as I've gone through, I feel like I've got a rock solid feeling for how each of them talks.  I consider flow edits and rephrasing fairly trivial now (although it would be a much bigger pain in the ass if you guys hadn't already put so much time into making it readable already, I've got the easiest job on the whole team).

As for the 10% of the lines that cause 90% of the problems--I tend to have my best ideas about those either immediately or after not thinking about it for awhile and coming back to it later.  Usually the latter.  The earlier I get a look at those, the more likely I am to come up with a plan before it's like "Ok guys, time to wrap this thing up and get it ready for release".  Of course, sometimes I don't have any ideas (stupid, stupid inn!), but that can't be helped. 

Let me look into my crystal ball and just make a wild guess about the annoying ones...in order of most to least irritating:

1.  Puns!
2.  Klarth's various aphorisms and figures of speech
3.  Random Japanese cultural things that make no sense to English speakers that aren't already familiar with them.
4.  Arche speak. 
5.  Oh look, more puns!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
xAschx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:59:52 PM »

I just noticed today is the 17th, YEY!!!!

"Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Damn, I must be a genius. Double Demon Fang!" - Zelos Wilder
Yup, that's what's up.
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »

Indeed. The mouse came today as predicted (and it's an amazing improvement over my previous one in general). Sadly I've been busy with real-life related stuff today so I haven't really done any project work. I should be very free tomorrow though.

xAschx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »

No problem, so how long have you and the team been working on this project for? It looks like this is going to be a pretty awesome translation patch.

"Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Damn, I must be a genius. Double Demon Fang!" - Zelos Wilder
Yup, that's what's up.
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »

10, but the first 7 were more like how long it took for things to truly get off the ground. I kind of wish I could officially not count them as part of the total, but it's too late for that.

xAschx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »

Hey don't sweat it. Rushed work tends to leave you with that feeling that something is missing, if you know what I mean.

Yup, that's what's up.
DeadlyAnGeL91792

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »

best of luck cless im hoping to see some updates i still have yet to playthrough Top et *heres to a 2010 release
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »

Did do some stuff, but didn't complete any new files in the review. I've actually been adding some extra polish to the last file I reviewed. Not through with it yet. Need sleep. New mouse still rules my old one.

mikeyramone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »

Just read the to-do list Cless,

your rigor and finesse are very admirable. I think itīll be really great once itīs done.
Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:21:27 AM »

Time of being able to work on this has been more fragmented than I'd like, and as a matter of fact, I'm still polishing up the same section. It's almost done though, and much of it was in need of a serious overhaul.

This is something that bothers me. At a glance, many things seem perfectly fine. Think about them a little more deeply, and you find they really aren't, and there's loads more room for improvement. I think I've said this before somewhere, but it's still true. But much of this text I'm working on is in one of those few spots that haven't actually changed all that much since the initial translation. It's one of those annoying parts (i.e. mini-game related things) that I found bothersome to sit down and really pay attention to.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:23:43 AM by Cless » Logged

Cless
Overlord
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »

Well, I think I'm pretty much done polishing up that file, *finally*. Although I'd like to playtest the changes before I move on, which I'll do tomorrow.

For some reason, I've been seemingly incapable of getting a desirable amount of sleep for months. Seems like I get maybe 5.5-6.5 hours of actual sleep each night no matter what I do, and it's not doing me any favors. Getting sleep apnea treated was one thing, but it seems like any benefits have been erased by this.

Oh, and it's been a while since I posted any screenshots. So here's a little teaser:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:14:17 AM by Cless » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length